At Westfield Smiles, we know that with the proper prevention methods, most dental problems can be avoided.
Dental Problem Prevention
There are several ways to maintain your healthy smile.
- It is vital to have professional cleanings and regular check-ups to maintain your healthy teeth. We suggest visiting your general dentist once every six months. At each appointment, your dentist will examine your teeth and provide an evaluation of existing dental problems and proposed treatment. This will ensure you are keeping proper care of your teeth, avoiding potential problems such as cavities, or worse.
- Diet control is essential to the health of your teeth. The teeth, bones, and soft tissues of the mouth require a healthy, well-balanced diet. Consuming sugary and starchy foods should be limited. Healthier foods, such as vegetables, low-fat yogurt and cheeses help promote stronger teeth.
- Tooth decay is a progressive disease resulting from the interaction of bacteria that naturally occur in your mouth, and the sugars consumed in your diet. Sugar causes a reaction in the bacteria, which causes it to produce acids. These acids break down the minerals in your teeth. Dentists can remove the decay and fill the tooth using a variety of fillings or cover the tooth with a crown.
- Tooth sealants protect vulnerable areas by sealing hard to clean grooves, like your molars, preventing bacteria and food particles from accumulating. Sealants, made of a resin material, last for several years but need to be checked during regular appointments.
- Fluoride is a substance that helps teeth become stronger and resistant to decay. Regularly drinking fluoridated water from public water sources ensures significantly fewer cavities. There are also many kinds of toothpaste, mouthwash, and even some dental flosses that contain fluoride.
- Be sure to maintain an open line of communication with your dentist, tackling any problems before they become major issues.
The American Dental Association suggests that brushing two times a day for two minutes each time will help keep your teeth healthy. Additionally, cleaning between your teeth with floss once daily will prevent decay-causing bacteria that hide in places your toothbrush can’t reach.
Early Prevention Importance
The mouth plays an important part in your long-term health. For children, finding problems like cavities or the need for orthodontic treatment early can help reduce later treatments and create facial symmetry. For adults, studies have found that improper tooth and gum cleaning can lead to serious issues such as diabetes and heart disease. Though your smile is a symbol of your personality, more importantly, it is the gateway to your health.
For proper prevention of tooth problems, contact Westfield Smiles for professional checkups, cleanings, and your general mouth health.