A number of options exist when choosing a toothbrush. People can opt for either a manual or electric implement, depending on personal preference. Anyone with issues such as arthritis, which can reduce the range of motion and strength in hands, might choose an electric toothbrush to make it easier to clean the teeth. An electric model can make it easier to clean effectively. In any case, it’s important not to get a brush with bristles that are too stiff, which can cause damage to the gums.
It’s common for people to adopt a cleaning technique that they use every time they brush their teeth. For maximum effectiveness, dentists recommend that people change up this process regularly. This can mean starting off the process in a different part of the mouth instead of beginning at the same spot every time.
Additional tips for effective cleaning include:
- Hold the brush at a 45-degree angle to the gums.
- Use short, up-and-down motions on the teeth.
- Brush every surface of the teeth, including all the hard-to-reach areas. Clean the front and back surfaces, as well as the sides and in between teeth.
- Use the bristles (or a special instrument) on the tongue and insides of the cheeks to remove bacteria from these surfaces.
- Brush lightly without exerting too much pressure because plaque does not require strong pressure on surfaces.
- Replace a worn toothbrush after using it for three to four months because bristles will wear over time.
With attention to detail and daily effort, it is possible to keep teeth clean. Proper techniques should keep breath fresh and the mouth healthy. Give Westfield Smiles a call for your next cleaning.